Happy Tuesday, Orange County! After an eventful weekend, including a person climbing to the top of Knott’s Berry Farm’s highest point and news of an Olympian falling ill to coronavirus, we’ve scoured the web to find the stories that will impact your day.
First, today’s weather: Partly cloudy throughout the day. High: 84 Low: 64.
At Orange County beaches, the high tide will be at 7:56 a.m. at 3.48 feet. Low tide will be at 12:22 p.m. at 2.2 feet, and a second high tide will be at 6:53 p.m. at 6.33 feet.
Sunrise in Orange County is at 5:56 a.m. and sunset will be at 8 p.m.
Here are the top stories today in Orange County:
- An Orange County vet and rescue group saved a golden retriever puppy, at death’s door during the recent heat wave. Now, they need your help. (Patch San Juan Capistrano).
- Costa Mesa Police arrested four suspects, thought to be armed, who fled a traffic stop midday, Monday. (Newport Beach Patch)
- Is unemployment drawing to a close across Orange County? Orange County Sees Improvement in Unemployment Rate. Here’s a report from Eryka Forquer. (Capistrano Dispatch)
- Before the Tokyo Olympics begin, an Orange County star tests positive for COVID, and is out of the games, the AP reports. (OCRegister)
- This ultimate list from bespoke facials to outdoor vintage shopping finds: What makes the Best Of Orange County 2021: Shop & Indulge (Orange Coast Magazine)
- An OC mortgage fraud scheme results in seven area arrests: Report (OCRegister)
- A total of 6 CA Cities Rank Among Fittest Cities In The U.S. (Orange County Patch)
Today’s Orange County Daily is brought to you by our friends at Ring, the home security company. Ring does a lot more than doorbells: check out their full suite of smart home products at Ring.com. And thank you Ring for helping to make local news happen in Orange County!
Today in Orange County
- BRAD THOR to discuss BLACK ICE (4 PM)
- Beyond Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience (10 AM)
- Sounds of Summer music series (6 PM)
- A Cultural Journey into the Western Galilee (6 PM)
Orange County Patch Notebook
- The Observatory Orange County: “He was more than just a friend. RIP to the legendary Biz Markie ” (Facebook)
- German Shepherd Rescue of Orange County: “GSROC alum Kara is beating the heat in her happy home!” (Facebook)
- Orange County Pit Bull Rescue: “The face you make when you realize tomorrow’s Monday….. Grandma Tara is the cutest, sweetest soul. I mean, look at…” (Facebook)
- MaryKTran @LetsPlayOC: “For us, it’s not camping until we s’mores. The kids still need supervision, and it’s a bit of a production, but the …” (Instagram)
- Orange County Guide | SoCal: “Adorable mini keyboards at @typoshop in @irvinespectrumcenter Great product for back to school supplies #min…” (Instagram)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- BRAD THOR to discuss BLACK ICE (July 20)
- Poetry Hour Resumes! (July 22)
- Free Family Mini Photo Sessions (August 7)
- Field Technician machine shop industry (Details)
That’s it for today. See you all tomorrow morning for another update! If you’re into these newsletters, consider bringing some of your friends and neighbors on board. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Ashley Ludwig
About me: Ashley Ludwig has been a columnist and online news editor since 2007.
Prior to joining Patch, she worked as a staff writer for Southwest Riverside’s Valley News Newspaper–in print and online. She was a co-founder of the southern California news conglomerate, DailySoCal.com–and prior to that, a freelance journalist for such publications as the North County Times, San Diego Union-Tribune, and Southwest Riverside News Network (SWRNN.com), and still owns the local southern California Wine Country blog: TemeculaGrapevine.com. Ashley Ludwig has worked as a writer on the web since the late 1990s.
She is a graduate of the University of Arizona, with a Bachelor of Arts and Sciences. Wife, and mother of two daughters, she is the author of multiple romantic suspense novels. www.ashleyludwig.com
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Orange County Daily? Contact me at [email protected].